Listen to this article
Estimated 2 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
The RCMP announced they have arrested a minor in Montreal in connection with terrorism allegations.
In a news release on Friday, the RCMP said information suggests the ”young man” had been plotting an attack targeting a school in the city.
He is alleged to have used artificial intelligence in the potential planning of the attack and to have posted threatening messages to the platform Telegram, targeting various groups including Muslims, Haitians and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, according to RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Érique Gasse.
“It’s tips we recieved from the FBI a couple weeks ago saying that this individual was planning an attack,” said Gasse.
The individual was arrested at his home on Friday morning as part of an investigation by the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team — multi-agency teams that track and disrupt criminal activities of terrorist groups or individuals who pose a threat to Canada’s national security.
He is currently meeting with investigators, said Gasse, as other investigators search his house for electronic devices “or things that could be relevant to that investigation,” he said.
The police operation was intended to “disrupt the individual’s suspected activities,” according to the news release, and to seek a peace bond to allow for monitoring and de-escalation interventions.
Gasse says the individual will appear in youth court on Saturday morning, though the RCMP’s news release states that he could be charged at a later date.